Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Slapped With It Again


I received my reminder email that Fairfax County Co-ed softball is around the corner again. My lovely, and a lot less pregnant, team captain emailed out to see who all plans on playing again this season. Of course I was one of three to respond within a few minutes…one of the many perks of working in front of a computer all day.

Last season I play, rather successfully, catcher and second base. I caught a lot of fly balls as catcher, and also had a lot of close calls. One game I went to catch a foul ball and the batter swung a second time, coming within inches of my forehead. I saw it coming and plunked right on my ass you avoid the blow. Members from both my team and the opposition gasped at how close she came to hitting me. I caught the ball…hehe, the uber competitive person that I am.

So needless to say out team captain wrote back that she had hoped I’d be back, and how much they needed me there.

Again with the needs…

Why take a perfectly powerful sentence and turn it into an uncontrolled instinctive condition? For example:

“Jim, I need you to come over and spend time with me.”
“Oh jeez Anne, I don’t want to lose you…I need you.”
“I need the money for that game I want Mom!”
“I can’t live without you Alex, I need our relationship.”

Try removing the word “need” and replace it with “want”. Isn’t it much more powerful admitting a desire instead of reconciling a primitive requirement?

Hmm…some people get it and some don’t. I have a feeling that those who just don’t want to get it can’t stand the idea of people not wanting them around…so they fall back on trying to get people to need them. If they need you, it isn’t up to them..so you can't be rejected…everyone’s happy, right?

I suppose if that’s how you want to look at it.

I don’t need anyone…but boy do I want some of ya’ll around me!!

No comments: